Located in the northwest section of the city, the 674-acre park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This former estate, purchased by the Baltimore
Park Commission in 1860, contains miles of carriage and bridle paths, a lake, and picnic groves; the designers utilized the natural terrain with minimal intrusion, after the manor of English gardens. Many 18th-century structures remain within the park grounds; of particular interest are Orem's Way Station, circa 1864; the main entrance gates at Madison Avenue, circa 1867-68; Chinese Pagoda, circa 1865; and the 1888 Conservatory, all of which were designed by various well-known architects.
More recent additions to the park include the renowned Baltimore Zoo. The park is open to the public daily, dawn till dusk.