In the Washington metro area, Silver Spring is located in Montgomery County 10 miles north of the city center just inside the Beltway on US 29.
In 1842, Washington Globe editor Francis Preston Blair discovered a spring in a heavily wooded area north of Washington D.C. He later purchased the land around the spring, built a home and named it Silver Spring after the sparkling spring. By 1899 the first post office was built and Blair became the first postmaster for the small farming community.
It is now a thriving upscale residential area of more than 60,000.