Lewiston is located in Androscoggin County
north of Portland
, between Fryeburg and Augusta
, along Interstate 495 on the banks of the Androscoggin River
. The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 36,186, a decrease of 3,571 since 1990.
Lewiston is the second largest city in Maine and lies across the Androscoggin from Auburn. Lewiston and Auburn are known as the Twin Cities. Together they form the industrial heart of Maine.
Lewiston was first settled in 1770 and incorporated as a town in 1795. It became a city in 1861. After the Civil War, thousands of French Canadians came to Lewiston to work in the mills. Today, they are a major force in the political and social life of the city.
Lewiston is part of the Lewiston-Auburn, Maine metro area.