Harper Woods is in Wayne County, and in the Southeast Region. This community is located on the northeastern city limits of Detroit between Grosse Pointe Park and St Clair Shores along Interstate 94 on the banks of the Detroit River near Anchor Bay and Lake St Clair.
Harper Woods is part of the Detroit, Michigan metro area.
Caspar Salter first settled this land in 1850. In 1920 the first plat was recorded and was called Manchester Park. A few other subdivisions followed, but the 1929 Depression brought the area back to virtual wilderness. The population began again in 1934, and a community foundation was developed once again.
Harper Woods was incorporated as a city in 1951.