Occupying the highest point of land in Pontiac, Oak Hill Cemetery has served the city throughout its history.
On June 1, 1822, the Pontiac Company gave the citizens of Pontiac the first land for a village cemetery. it was "to be occupied and used forever as a burying ground." In 1939, when Captain Hervey Parke was employed by the village to survey Outlot 9 of the original plat of the village, Oak Hill Cemetery was laid out. Many of the early pioneers who had been buried near the intersection of Saginaw and Huron streets and on private property were reinterred here after 1839. The cemetery contains the Buckland Memorial Chapel, built of Berea sandstone in 1898 by Don Carlos Buckland. Amoung the monuments of note are those of Major General Israel B. Richardson, Governor Moses Wisner and David Ward. Acreage across Mt. Clemens (renamed University) and Paddock streets was added to the original site as the need for increased as the need for increased space arose.