Sandusky is in Sanilac County (of which it is the county seat), and in the east of Saginaw between Saginaw and the shore of Lake Huron along Highway 46 near the Black and Elk Rivers.
The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 2,533, an increase of 130 since 1990.
Sandusky received its name from Wildman Mills who was persistent in moving the Sanilac County seat from Lexington to Sandusky. Mr. Mills named the town after Sandusky, Ohio, which was founded by his grandfather. Real estate brokers of Detroit donated twenty acres of land for the county buildings in 1879.
Today, Sandusky has a new county building, new shopping center, hospital, churches, and schools and is a diverse cultural center.
The Sandusky Summer Festival is held in June and offers live music, dancing, entertainment, refreshments and more.