Silver was discovered here in 1865 and in the same year, the Wier House was built for the mine's superintendent. It is now the only masonry residence in this ghost town. At the peak of its boom, Granite was thought to be the richest silver mine on earth. Little remains of the major hotel, 18 saloons and the Granite Rod and Gun Club.
To find this undeveloped park, take Highway 10-A east of Philipsburg, go south on Fanfone Street and turn east on the gravel road opposite Center Street. Proceed about 4 miles to the townsite.