From the beginning, Duke University Chapel was meant to serve the entire university. At the Service of Dedication in 1935, ministers from several faiths participated in the service, as well as officers of the university, faculty members, and students.
The Chapel is constructed of a volcanic stone from the Duke Quarry in Hillsborough, North Carolina. The lectern, pulpit and other trimmings were made from Indiana limestone. The vaults of the choir are made of stone, but the walls and vaults of the nave and transepts are made of Guastavino tile, a sound-absorbing material.
The Flentrop organ over the entrance to Duke University Chapel contains 5,033 speaking pipes, played by four manual keyboards and a pedal clavier located between the two cases. The main case rises approximately 40 feet above the gallery floor and is only about 4-1/2 feet deep.