Online Highways Home > North Carolina >

Matthews

Search Matthews North Carolina
Matthews is located in Mecklenburg County southeast of Charlotte, between Pineville and Allen along Highway 51 near and Allen along Highway 51 near [indiansp]. Matthews began as a small farming community in the 1800s. Cotton farmers cleared the land, leaving tree stumps in every direction; so the first name for the community was Stumptown. In 1825, the name changed to Fullwood for John Fullwood who operated the Stagecoach Inn and became the first postmaster for this area. In 1874, the Carolina Central Railway Company built a railroad through the town as part of the line from Wilmington, North Carolina to Tennessee. The name of the town was changed to Matthews in honor of Watson Matthews, a director of the railroad. The town was incorporated in 1879 and the first census in 1880 showed a population of 191.

Matthews is part of the [us:z1520] metro area.

CODE left

Matthews is located in [y37119] southeast of [charlott], between [pinevill] and Allen along Highway 51 near [indiansp]. Matthews began as a small farming community in the 1800s. Cotton farmers cleared the land, leaving tree stumps in every direction; so the first name for the community was Stumptown. In 1825, the name changed to Fullwood for John Fullwood who operated the Stagecoach Inn and became the first postmaster for this area. In 1874, the Carolina Central Railway Company built a railroad through the town as part of the line from Wilmington, North Carolina to Tennessee. The name of the town was changed to Matthews in honor of Watson Matthews, a director of the railroad. The town was incorporated in 1879 and the first census in 1880 showed a population of 191.

Matthews is part of the [us:z1520] metro area.

Bonterra Village |

See more North Carolina Cities and Towns.

09/15 Coming to The area
John Blue Cotton Festival Laurinburg NC October12-13 Performances on an outdoor stage,vendor area with beautifully displayed crafts, clothing, and artwork, and wonderful food prepared by all of the food vendors.