The Duke family of Durham
, North Carolina wanted to expand their textile business and build another cotton mill. They decided that somewhere in the vicinity would be an ideal manufacturing site, since the mill could take advantage of the water from the Cape Fear River. The town of Erwin
was first chartered in 1892 by Erwin Cotton Mill Company.
Good Hope Hospital received its name during the original construction of the hospital in 1913. During this time funds raised for the construction were provided by the mill and the caring community citizens who saw a need to provide area residents with the most up-to-date Healthcare services possible.
Good Hope Hospital is an acute-care and psychiatric facility and incorporates state-of-the-art procedures and equipment to care for patients. An extensive offering of services and programs are available at the hospital. Health maintenance is also a major role of the hospital with numerous community education classes being offered on a regular basis. This commitment to the community is supported by their desire to maintain a professional and caring staff.