Taylorsville is located in Alexander County
(of which it is the county seat) between Hickory
along Hwy 16 near Hiddenite
, Lake Hickory, and the Catawba River. The town was formed in 1847, along with Alexander County, named in honor of General Zachary Taylor who at that time was in Mexico engaged in a war. The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 2,034, an increase of 23 since 1990.
Taylorsville is part of the Hickory-Morganton, North Carolina metro area.