Located about twenty-two miles southwest of Williston, this site preserves remnants of a vital frontier plains military post. Ft. Buford was built in 1866 near the confluence of the Missouri River and Yellowstone river, and became a major supply depot for military field operations. Original features still existing on the site include a stone powder magazine, the post cemetery site, and a large officers' quarters building which now houses a museum.
The site is open from May 15 through September 15. Museum exhibits and video, self-guided site tour. Modern facilities on site, picnic area, and campgrounds. Museum admission fee.