Maddock is located in north central North Dakota in Benson County about 35 miles southeast of the town of Devils Lake.
The area began its growth with the arrival of the railroad in 1885. By using their rights under the Homestead Act of 1862, settlers filtered into Maddock buying up their 160-acre allotments. Some early business establishments included Farmer’s Co-op Store, or Huakness Corner, Citizen’s State Bank, Gus Sheimo Confectionery, Engen Harness Shop, Cresent Theater, Sorenson/Pierson Meat Market, Evander Drug Co., and Gilbertson & Nelson Clothing.
Local residents often enjoy an outing to Devils Lake, the natural resource, located about 20 miles northeast of town. In addition, waterfowl hunters and anglers have about 15 pothole lakes to choose from well within an hour's drive to the west-northwest.