Wimbledon is located in eastern North Dakota in western Barnes County snuggled up against the Stutsman County line about 30 miles north-northeast of Jamestown.
The town was established in 1893 as a stop on the Soo Line railroad. Originally called "Gibson", after John Henry Gibson who sold the land for a townsite, Wimbledon was given the name by the new Post Office. The fertile soil in the area was the catalyst for a boom in the agribusiness industry. As many as eight grain elevators once stood in town which earned it the nickname of "City of Elevators."
Nearby recreation can be found around Lake Ashtabula about 25 miles east of town and Jim Lake 20 miles to the west.