This community is located in Custer County (and is the county seat), northwest of Grand Island off Highway 2, between Merna and Berwyn.
In spring of 1879, Wilson Hewitt had a dugout on the North bank of Muddy Creek. The site was South of what is now Melham Medical Center. Wilson's sons, Fred and Edwin, had been wandering down the creek. They found 5 pieces of an old discarded Pawnee Indian bow, along with a broken arrow. On November 4, 1880 the new Broken Bow post office was officially opened in Mr. Hewitt's dugout.
Swimming, golfing, bowling, hunting, fishing, tennis and baseball are popular recreation activities that Broken Bow has to offer.