Valparaiso is located in Saunders County northwest of Lincoln along Hwy 79, just north of Branched Oak Lake.
The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 516, an increase of 35 since 1990.
Valparaiso was incorporated as a town July 1880. Trustees included J.C. Stevens, Gustavus State, J. P. Gibbons, C. J. McFarland, A. M. white, John Hunter and Elijah Beach. Valparaiso was originally called Raccoon Forks by the Johnson family because 3 creeks joined on the old homestead. When settlers came to this valley, called Oak Creek Watershed, they thought it the ideal place to live and called it the Spanish name of Valley of Paradise, Valparaiso.
Today, Valparaiso offers The Oak Creek Recreational Trail, which is a great place to take a nice walk, run, or bike ride.
Valparaiso enjoys three parks: Tornado Park (on the east side of town) and the Shady Park (which is located on the west side of town with a train caboose which is highly enjoyed as well).