Online Highways Home > New Hampshire >

Enfield

Enfield is located in Grafton County, 6 miles east of Lebanon, the regional commercial and population center, along Highway 4 near Mascoma Lake. Enfield also borders the Sullivan County towns of Plainfield, Grantham and Springfield to the south, the Grafton County towns of Canaan and Hanover to the north and Grafton to the east. Enfield is close to Lebanon Municipal Airport. Enfield is the home of Mascoma Lake and includes the villages of Upper and Lower Shaker Village and Lockhaven.

Chartered in 1761, the town was first named Enfield by settlers from Enfield Connecticut. The town was renamed Relhan in 1766 to honor Dr. Anthony Relhan, who was a promoter of seabathing as a curative. In 1784 after the revolution, the town was renamed Enfield.

Enfield was the site of a large Shaker community beginning in 1793, whose buildings are now occupied by the La Salette Brotherhood of Montreal.The Shakers lived in Enfield for over 130 years and many of their original buildings can be found there. When the Shakers arrived at the Lower Shaker Village site, they called their home the "Chosen Vale".

There are many small lakes, including Crystal and Mascoma lakes, and the ponds of Goose and Grafton near Enfield. Other places to visit include the Enfield Shaker Museum at Lower Shaker Village, the at Lower Shaker Village, the [shrinelasa] or Lebanon to see the shops. CODE left

Enfield is located in [y33009], 6 miles east of [lebanon], the regional commercial and population center, along Highway 4 near Mascoma Lake. Enfield also borders the [y33019] towns of [plainfie], Grantham and Springfield to the south, the [y33009] towns of Canaan and [hanover] to the north and Grafton to the east. Enfield is close to [leb]. Enfield is the home of Mascoma Lake and includes the villages of Upper and Lower Shaker Village and Lockhaven.

Chartered in 1761, the town was first named Enfield by settlers from Enfield Connecticut. The town was renamed Relhan in 1766 to honor Dr. Anthony Relhan, who was a promoter of seabathing as a curative. In 1784 after the revolution, the town was renamed Enfield.

Enfield was the site of a large Shaker community beginning in 1793, whose buildings are now occupied by the La Salette Brotherhood of Montreal.The Shakers lived in Enfield for over 130 years and many of their original buildings can be found there. When the Shakers arrived at the Lower Shaker Village site, they called their home the "Chosen Vale".

There are many small lakes, including Crystal and Mascoma lakes, and the ponds of Goose and Grafton near Enfield. Other places to visit include the [enshmuen] at Lower Shaker Village, the [shrinelasa] or Lebanon to see the shops.

Dana Robes Wood Craftsman | Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette | Location: P.O. Box 373, 23 Main Street, New Hampshire 03748 Telephone 603-632-5026

See more New Hampshire Cities and Towns.