Designed by Jonathan Doane, the original building was constructed in 1792, shortly after New Jersey became the third state to ratify
the new Constitution. The state legislature voted to establish Trenton
as the permanent capitol, and construction of the State House began. Despite the many structural changes and additions, parts of the original State House are still in use as the Governors private chambers, making New Jerseys capitol the second oldest in continuous use.