In 1896 the College of New Jersey became Princeton University. It encompasses more than 1,660 acres with many buildings representing a wide variety of architectural styles. The campus's original 1756 building, Nassau Hall, served as a barracks and hospital during the War for Independence and was the temporary home of the Continental Congress. Sculpture from the John B. Putnam Jr. Memorial Collection are displayed on the campus.
Points of interest here include the Art Museum, Natural History Museum, and University Chapel; all are open to the public.
Princeton is one of the original Ivy League Colleges, the home of numerous Nobel prizewinners for their scholastic, literary and world-stage achievements.