Virden is in Hidalgo County
, and in the Southwest New Mexico
region. Virden is located on State Hwy 92, and northwest of Lordsburg
Virden received its current name in 1916. It was settled by Mormon colonists who had been living in Chihuahua, Mexico, and were forced out by the revolutionists. They named the town Virden in honor of the ranch owner who sold them the land. Before 1916, Virden was known as Richmond. It was originally settled by the New Mexico Mining Company. The location chosen was due to its proximity to the Gila River a source of water for a stamp mill and for irrigation. The mine was 30 miles south in Ralston. When the silver ore played out the mining company left and Richmond became Virden.