Named for James and Edward Clifford who found silver in the winter of 1905. He sold his claim for a substantial $250,000 and were replaced by dozens who leased pieces of the claim. Clifford grew to a modest size, boasting saloons, hotels, stores and post office branch. Clifford died a lingering death, beginning in 1908 and finishing decades laterleaving many broke and broken.
Today the area is known as the Clifford Mines. The landscape is pockmarked with abandoned mining holes and there are ruins of a few buildings, skeletons of a couple of automobiles and rusted, long-empty food cans scattered about.
Located 2 miles south of US6, 7 miles from SR375 on a barely useable two lane path.