Lakewood is located just west of Cleveland
in northeastern Ohio.
The town was settled in 1892 when the National Carbon Company (also known as Union Carbide), built a huge factory here. It also needed a large numbers of workers so more than 400 lots were platted near near the plant to house the labor. One section of the Cuyahoga County town is referred to by some as "Bird Town" because the Eastern European Slavs that populated the area named their streets after birds such as "Quail", Robin", etc.