Lincoln county was created from the Land Run of September 22, 1891, which opened to public settlement three Indian reservations adjoining the former Unassigned Lands on the east, and was named in honor of Abraham Lincoln. It is located in central Oklahoma just east of Oklahoma City with Chandler serving as the county seat.
The most significant feature of the county is historic Route 66 which roughly parallels the Turner Turnpike (Interstate 44).
The only major waterway is the Deep Fork of the Canadian River which flows west to east across the middle of the county.
History buffs will find over 40 significant sites in the county that are listed in the National Register including Bon Ton House in Stroud and the Marshal William M. Tilghman Homestead near Chandler.
The county population on July 1, 1999, was 31,811, an increase of 2,595 over the 1990 census.