Once known as Shebhanoning, meaning 'narrow channel.' The town was renamed in 1854 and became a commercial fishing center. Lighthouses, oak boat-building sheds, a school, and post office are historical attractions reminding visitors of the town's past. The area offers a wide range of recreational opportunities on the shores of the Georgian Bay
marking the entrance to the North Channel of Lake Huron
. Camping, boating, fishing, and hiking are popular in summer, and snowmobiling, ice fishing, curling, and cross-country skiing in the winter.