Temiskaming, Northern Ontario, Canada. Located along the Ottawa River, was Founded by Charles Cobbold Farr. In 1889, Charles Cobbold Farr moved his family to Humphrey’s Depot along the shore of Lake Temiskaming. This spot was also known by an Algonkian name, Matabanick, an ancient native portage whose name roughly translates “End of the trail”.
Mr. Farr established Haileybury in 1893. He encouraged outside settlement. Haileybury’s early growth was slow. In 1903 Haileybury experienced a population explosion by silver prospectors, and promoters who worked in the community of Cobalt. The Town was Incorporated in 1904 and in 1912 Haileybury was declared the Judicial Seat for the District of Temiskaming. Haileybury was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1922. 3,500 people were left homeless. This was one of the ten worst natural disasters in Canadian history.
Today, Haileybury continues to build on its past role as a bedroom community. The new City of Temiskaming Shores made up of the former municipalities of New Liskeard, Haileybury, and Dymond Township, Ontario, Canada.