The first tollgate on the original Barlow Road opened in 1846. Emigrants were charged $5 per wagon. Over the years, five toll gates were built to serve Barlow Road traffic until 1915, when the right-of-way was willed to the State of Oregon and the last gate, near the town of Rhododendron, was removed.
The route requires high clearance for cars or trucks. The road, narrow and rocky, has water bars and is only minimally maintained. The forest canopy is very dense so RVs or other tall vehicles may have difficulty passing this segment.