The official opening of the Columbia River Highway from Portland to Hood River marked the completion of a tremendous feat of highway construction. On June 6, 1916, dedication of the highway took place at Crown Point. On that rocky promontory, 733 feet above the Columbia River, construction of Vista House began that same year. Today, the Vista House includes a museum, gift shop, and interpretive displays.
In 1938, Portland and Multnomah County donated 1.71 acres to the state of Oregon for a park. It has since been enlarged to 307 acres.
The view from Crown Point is one of the most inspiring and beautiful sights in Oregon. In 1971, the Interior Department designated Crown Point as a Natural Historic Landmark.