The land that now is Depoe Bay was allotted by the U.S. government in 1894 to a Siletz Indian named Charlie Depot. His last name was derived from his employment at a U.S. army depot. The family later changed the spelling to Depoe, which was the spelling used when a post office was established in 1928.
Depoe Bay may have only 1100 full-time residents, but it still knows how to put on a party. April brings the Classic Wooden Boat Show, Crab Feed, and Ducky Derby. The Fleet of Flowers is on Memorial Day, and the annual salmon bake is in September.
Depoe Bay claims to have the world’s smallest navigable harbor. Charter fishing and whale-watching boats can be on the open sea in minutes. A sea wall runs almost the full length of town and is known for the “spouting horn," rock formations that turn crashing waves into a plume of water on stormy days.