Halsey is located 2 miles west of Interstate 5
along Highway 99E
in central Linn County
, positioned south of Albany
, between Tangent
near the Willamette River
Early pioneers staked their claims in 1846-47. It became part of the Burlington Precinct that was organized in 1850. Halsey began its existence as a winter camp for workers employed in building the Willamette Valley Railroad when it was extended south from Portland. The town's name is derived from William L. Halsey, who was a vice-president of that line.
There is also a Halsey, Nebraska.
Halsey has had a bank since at least January 15, 1910, when the Halsey State Bank's "Articles of Incorporation" were filed with the Office of the Secretary of the State or Oregon." Halsey lies in the middle of one of the largest grass seed growing areas of the world.