Stayton is locatd southeast of Salem along Highway 22, near the banks of the North Santiam River in Marion County.
In 1866 Drury Smith Stayton established the areas first saw mill and carding mill on part of the 41 acres he purchased. Four years later, the town of Stayton had a chair factory, mill, cabinet shop, sash and blind factory, wagon marker, blacksmith, saddle and boot maker, and gunsmith.
The first town plat in Stayton was signed in 1872. The city adopted its first charter in 1891 and was incorporated in 1903. Stayton is very close to the town of Sublimity.
Stayton is part of the Salem, Oregon metro area.