Suttle Lake is located about 15 miles northwest of Sisters on Hwy 20 in the Deschutes National Forest
just east of the Santiam summit. The lake was named for John Settle, a pioneer and one of the organizers and directors of the Willamette Valley and Cascade Mountain Military Wagon Road project in 1866. While on a hunting trip Settle found the lake, which now bears his name in a corrupted form.
The lake has an excellent population of kokanee, brown trout, whitefish, and crayfish.