The right-of-way of the Willamette Shore Trolley was first established in 1885-1887 as the Portland and Willamette Valley Railroad. It was later purchased by the Southern Pacific Railroad.
The line was electrified in 1914 and passenger traffic hit its peak in 1920 with SP running 64 Red Electrics to and from Portland and Lake Oswego daily. Passenger service ended in 1929, while freight continued until 1983. In 1984, SP was granted permission to abandon the line. Instead, it has become a non-profit service operated by Oregon Electric Railway Historical Soc.. The Lake Oswego station is on State at A Street and the Portland terminus is 3 blocks south of Riverplace. Charter and group rates are available.
A variety of adventures with Trains await the railroad enthusiast in Oregon.