Little Compton was incorporated as a part of Plymouth Colony in 1682, after having been settled by Captain Benjamin Church, the noted Indian fighter, and others seven years previously. In 1746, under Royal Decree, it was transferred to RI together with the Towns of Cumberland, Barrington, Bristol and Tiverton.
Today, Little Compton is a rural-farming community. It was in Little Compton that the famous Rhode Island Red, (a breed of fowl and the State Bird), was developed. Fishing is still a major industry in the town, as one can observe with the daily departure of the fishing fleet from the Sakonnet Wharf. The town has also developed into an ideal vacation spot with the traditional atmosphere of colonial New England.
Little Compton is located in Newport County acroos the Sakonnet Inlet E of Newport between Four Corners and Sakonnet Point along Highway 77 near the Red Hen Monument.
Little Compton is part of the Providence-Fall River-Warwick metro area.