Marion is located in Marion County , of which it is the county seat, between Florence and Mullins along United States Highway 76. Marion is located east of Florence in northeast South Carolina.
In 1798, the county, and the town was named Marion in honor of General Francis Marion, the notorious "Swamp Fox" of the Revolutionary War. Today, a statue stands in the City of Marion's square. The county courthouse, built in 1853, and still in use today, is situated across the square from the statue of Francis Marion. The Old Opera House, located nearby, was built in 1892. Today, it houses a 300-seat auditorium. The Marion Academy Building, built in 1886, is home to the Marion County Museum and site of the original Harvest of the Arts Festival.