In 1907 the C.P.R steel passed through the district, and 1908 marked the arrival of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad. The settlement of Biggar, which took its name from W. H. Biggar, General Counsel for the G.T.P.R., was incorporated as a village in 1909. In 1910, the G.T.P.R. decided to establish a divisional point, sparking a construction boom that shot the population over the 600 mark. Biggar became one of the home terminals where train crews changed. The station was one of the largest in the west, boasting an all-night restaurant. Biggar was incorporated as a Town in 1911.
The "New York Is Big But This Is Biggar" slogan came about in 1909 according to local legend. A survey crew had a bit too much to drink one night and wrote the phrase on a sign as a prank. As it turned out, the townspeople liked the phrase and adopted it. The sign and the slogan remain as two of the most recognizeable symbols of Biggar.