Online Highways Home > Saskatchewan > Melfort

Melfort

Search Melfort Saskatchewan

Melfort is known as the "City of Northern Lights" because of the spectacular aurora borealis seen in the night skies for much of the year. The first settlers came to the area in 1892, to a settlement about 2.4 km (1.5 miles) south of the city, called Stoney Creek. The name, Melfort, was that of the first post office in the area which had been named after Mary Melfort Campbell of Melfort, Argyleshire Scotland. She was the wife of Indian Agent, Regenald Beatty.


History Museum Melfort and District Museum | Location: P.O. Box 2230, 202 Burrows Avenue West, Melfort Saskatchewan S0E 1A0 Telephone 306-752-5911 Fax 306-752-5556

See more Saskatchewan Cities and Towns.

05/11 Coming to The Melfort area