The name is derived from the wild carrots growing along the river, which in 1911 the first homesteaders crossed and then settled on the north bank. Carrot River became a Village in 1941 and incorporated as a Town on April 01, 1948. In 1963, the first development of hydro electricity in Saskatchewan was constructed on the Saskatchewan River, and Squaw Rapids (renamed E.B. Campbell) 50 kms north of Carrot River. This project created Tobin Lake, an excellent fishing and recreational site. The tourism industry is bolstered by the recent discovery of Big Bert, the skeletal remains of a 92 million-year-old crocodile, near the Pasquia Regional Park, (located 10 kms south of the Town of Carrot River). This is the first to be found in North America. This strong and stable history of growth will serve Carrot River well as it prepares for the challenges and opportunities of the future.