Brackettville, the county seat of Kinney County
, is on US 90 twenty-two miles northeast of Del Rio
and 125 miles west of San Antonio
, near the geographic center of the county. It is named after Oscar B. Brackett, who established the first general dry goods store near the site of Fort Clark in 1852.
During the 50s thru the 80s, the town was Kinney County's principal market and shipping point. In addition to ranching, some income was derived from tourism, centered mainly on Fort Clark, which has been restored and opened as a guest ranch, and on Alamo Village, a replica of the Alamo used in several motion pictures.
In the 1980s Brackettville hosted the Frontier Fair, Fort Clark Cavalry Days, and the Western Horse Races and Barbecue. In 1990 the population was 1,740.