Castroville, the "little Alsace" of Texas, is located on the Medina River and US 90 twenty-five miles west of San Antonio in eastern Medina County.
The town was named for its founder, Henri Castro, with whom the Republic of Texas negotiated an empresario contract on January 15, 1842.
In 1984 the major agricultural products grown in the area were corn, maize, oats, wheat, vegetables, and hay. Agribusinesses in Castroville included a firm that processed whole-grain corn for local tortilla and corn-chip manufacturers, feed mills, and irrigation, tractor, and farm-implement dealers.
Castroville is also a center for applied research in genetics and artificial breeding of livestock. By 1989 Castroville had a population of 2,037 and thirty-three businesses. In 1990 the population was 2,159.
Castroville celebrates St. Louis Day on August 22 each year.