Fort Brown was established in 1846 on the north bank of the Rio Grande
River. This fortication provoked an attack by the Mexican army and began the Mexican War. Today several of the fort's original buildings are part of the campus shared by Texas Southmost College and The University of Texas at Brownsville
. Highlights include the post hospital (college administration building), the gaurdhouse (fine arts center) and the post headquarters.