Fort McKavett is located southeast of San Angelo
and 20 miles southwest of Menard
, off US 190 on Farm Roads 864 and 1674, near the San Saba River in Menard County
The population of Fort McKavett was estimated at 150 in the late 1920s; the number of residents fell to 136 in the early 1930s and remained at that level through the mid-1960s. The population was reported at 103 in the 1970s and at forty-five in 1990. Efforts to restore the old military post at Fort McKavett began in the late 1960s, and the site became Fort McKavett State Historical Park.