One of the state's best preserved old military posts, named for Major Davis Ringgold, first officer killed in the Battle of Palo Alto that opened the Mexican War. Established after the war to protect settlers and keep integrity of Rio Grand boundary. Deactivated in 1944. Among landmarks are the Lee House, once occupied by Col Robert E Lee, and an old post hospital. Portions of fort are now part of the school system.