In Hamilton County, Hico is located southwest of Fort Worth toward Waco along Hwy 6 on the banks of the North Bosque River near Proctor Lake.
Over the years Hico has prospered as a cotton and cattle market center. In 1940, although its population had declined to 1,242, the town was incorporated and had a post office, a bank, and fifty businesses. Hico had a population low of 925 in 1970, but by 1980 it had rebounded to 1,375. At that time the town had a post office, at least one bank, and thirty-five businesses. In 1990 the population was 1,342.
Texas's only "Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame", Billy the Kid Museum, nine antique/craft shops, handcrafted chocolate shops, leather and knife craftsmen are attractions to this turn-of-the-century (20th) town.