The seat of the county with its name, Lampasas is located northwest of Austin between Hamilton and Burnet along US 281 and US 183.
Hunting, fishing, and boating, as well as an annual rodeo, golf tournament, and historical festivals, attract tourists. The town is a deer-hunting capital.
Until 1960, when the Taliaferro home was sold, the town featured the Taliaferro collection of natural, scientific, and literary curiosities and area Indian relics.
The population of Lampasas was estimated at 2,107 in 1904, reached 3,426 by World War II, jumped to 4,872 by 1952, and peaked at 7,682 in 1978. In 1988 the town had 6,749 residents and 145 businesses. In 1990 the population was 6,382.