Stinnett is located northeast of Amarillo between Dumas and Borger along Hwys 152 and 207 near the Canadian River and Lake Meredith.
The seat of Hutchinson County, it was established in the summer of 1926 to be a shipping point on the Amarillo branch of the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway.
Although its boom days are past, Stinnett retains its importance as a commercial center for the surrounding grain-growing, oil, and ranching area.
The restored 1899 box-and-strip cottage of Isaac McCormick, the area's first settler, was made into a museum on the courthouse square. Although the population of Stinnett declined somewhat, 2,222 people were reported in the census of 1980. In 1990 the population was 2,166.