Located downtown at the river, was established in 1718 by Father Antonio Olivares as a Spanish outpost called the Mission San Antonio de Valero. In 1803 Spanish cavalary from the Alamo de Parras, Mexico, moved into the mission, and it was renamed Mission del Alamo del Parras.
The Alamo remains a symbol of Texas' pride and independent spirit. Visitors to the site can view the chapel, a reminder of the fort's original function as a mission. Exhibits in the chapel and the Long Barracks feature artifacts from the era of the Texas Revolution as well as personal items that belonged to the alamo heroes. Scheduled history talks are offered in the Alamo Shrine, and a 15-minute documentary is shown continuously in the Long Barracks Museum. A research library also is available.