Whitney is at the intersection of Hwy 22 and Farm roads 933 and 1244, two miles southeast of Lake Whitney and twelve miles southwest of Hillsboro in western Hill County.
This town was established in 1879 when the Texas Central Railroad crossed through the Texas Hill County. It was named after Charles Whitney of New York, a major railroad stockholder.
In 1990 the population of Whitney was 1,626, and four manufacturers were located in the community, including an ice plant, a machine shop, a publisher, and a horticultural supply manufacturer. Several yearly events are held in Whitney, including the Lake Whitney Beauty Pageant and the Whitney Rodeo in June.