This area was originally explored by Lewis and Clark on their return trip in 1806. Situated at the confluence of the Touchet River and Patit Creek, first settlers took notice of the fertile soil and started growing wheat, which is still a major crop in Dayton today.
Dayton claims the oldest working county courthouse (1887) and railroad depot in the state (1881).
The area features 90 homes listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There is also a Dayton, Virginia.