Fort Flagler, along with the heavy batteries of Forts Worden and Casey, guarded the entrance to Puget Sound
. These posts, established in the late 1890's, became the first line of a fortification system designed to prevent a hostile fleet from reaching such targets as the Bremerton Naval Yard and the cities of Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia and Everett.
Fort Flagler was placed on caretaker status in 1937 and many of the origional buildings were removed, although some still remain at the park. The park was purchased as a state park in 1955 and features camping, picnicking, boating, hiking, scuba diving, fishing, clamming and windsurfing.
The park is located a few miles north of Nordland at the northern tip of Marrowstone Island opposite Port Townsend.
The Washington State Parks system includes more than 125 developed parks and includes about a quarter million acres. To make a reservation at more then 60 Washington state parks, contact Washington State Parks from May 15 to Sept. 15.