In the late 1920's, the property was donated to the Diocese of Seattle for use as a seminary by the Sulpician Order of Catholic Priests. In 1931, St. Edward Seminary was constructed. In 1977, due to declining enrollment and changes in the education of seminarians, the Diocese of Seattle sold 316 acres, including St. Edward Seminary, to the State of Washington for use as a state park.
The park hosts the last undeveloped waterfront along Lake Washington's shore, and is suitable for weddings and other special events. An indoor swimming pool and gymnasium are available. Other park activities include picnicking, hiking, fishing, tennis, swimming, birdwatching and a variety of organized sport.
The Washington State Parks system includes more than 125 developed parks and covers about a quarter million acres.